Friday, July 11, 2014

Belong

It's Friday! We made it through another week! Praises to Him for that...

Each Friday, with a community of other writers, I link up with Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday. Want details? You can find those here.

Today we are writing on the word Belong.

Have you ever had one of  'those' days? Where you wonder what you're doing? Why you're doing it? If you belong where you are?

The last 24 hours have been like that for me.

See, last night, I attended my church's Worship Team rehearsal to see what they're like. {At the prompting of my two beautiful children, I'm considering joining - I think I might be crazy.}

At first, I just kind of stood back, a willing observer. Then they invited me onstage. Then they gave me headphones. Stuff just got real, folks!

The entire time, I was thinking to myself, I don't belong here. I don't fit in with these gifted individuals. While I enjoy LOVE to sing, there's a HUGE difference between singing along as the radio drowns you out and singing on stage...in front of people...with a microphone.

But see, the truth is, that in some way, we all belong there. We are all to be giving Him praises. Psalm 100:2 says, "Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs."

As we left, I told my kids that I was nervous being up there {truth is, my daughter already knew that; she could tell}. And then I told them how I was frustrated with myself for being nervous. Yes, I was testing the waters, but at the same time, I shouldn't have cared about how I sounded. I may not have a voice like Celine Dion, but I can sing...and it's not about singing for the praises of others...it's about giving the praises to Him.

And then there's this blog. I'm not sure I ever would have called myself a 'writer.' But when there is a God-given desire in your heart, you better recognize who it's coming from...and follow it.

Most days, I don't feel like I belong on the interweb...where I post some of my private {and not-so-private} thoughts for all the world to read. But I just keep-on, keepin' on. And I write anyway.

See, the key is that we all have special gifts. We all belong in the family of God - using those gifts.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, I'm so glad that I stopped by and read your post. I love the image of your singing and belonging. Keep praising God in public and private, I hope you have the confidence to do it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I came & read this. The last few days here is what I have been thinking about ... it takes faith on our part to follow the still, small Voice inside of us. Let's be honest, the things He calls us to are far outside of our abilities (on our own) and our comfort zones which is why He calls us there. When we follow, we will find our purpose because we will be where He is and wants us to be. I am so hoping it makes sense the way I wrote it. I promise it makes sense in my head :) All that to say... keep following His lead. Don't give up! Grateful you visited me so I was able to come & read your post too. It blessed me this morning!

    ReplyDelete